Sunday, September 11, 2011

Post 40: 9/11 and empathy.

Fellow Adventurers, 

On the 10th year anniversary of 9/11, I would like to recount what lessons I have learned in the time since that tragic day which I will long remember.

Fear is the only thing that divides us in this world, and empathy is the best tool to fight that mentality. This is a lesson I have learned from travel. I have learned that those outside of my familiar surroundings, those who look and speak differently than me, are no different than myself, my family, or my neighbors.

We must not value ourselves higher than the lives of Afghans, Iraqis, North Koreans, Iranians, Libyans, Syrians, Pakistani, Chinese, Palestinian, Israeli or any other person based on imaginary geographic boundaries. I have learned this from the Italians, Peruvians, Germans, and Jamaicans I met on the road, in their homelands.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” – Mark Twain

G

No comments: