Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Post 37: a minor bump in the road

Fellow adventurers,

Well, I was not lying when I said this week would be eventful, nor was I when I said posting here would become more frequent as our departure came closer.

Today, my now-ancient-and-on-its-last-legs hearing aid was met with a little moisture due to some heavy rain here in Philadelphia and decided not to work again on me after many tries. I should have been more responsible in handling this before but money was always an issue and my thoughts were more directed towards other desires. Sans-hearing-aid, I am unable to interact very well with people, which would make my next two months of work and the 5 after that of travel even more challenging. Considering that these devices go for on average, around $3,000, I nearly panicked, as that would be a great feat to overcome moneywise. 

In my anxiety over how to resolve this problem, I did what I normally do when faced with trouble....I visited Amazon (how ironic...), and to my amazement found one for a little under $200 with a perfect 5 star rating on reviews. Anything must be better than what I was using before, and from what I have been reading, this may be greatly beneficial to me. Everything seems legit as far as the product goes, and I really have no other choice if I want to continue with our plan, so there was no hesitation in trying.

I spoke to J briefly this evening to express my anxiety regarding the whole situation at hand and we again discussed purchasing tickets on Thursday night. Her answer of "absolutely" brought a much needed smile to my face after the aforementioned event. It is about time to take that leap and just go for it, regardless of outcome. I would find great regret if we did not accomplish this goal that we have been working and sacrificing so much for this year.

Updates within the next few days to let it be known if my gamble paid off, and hopefully to announce some departure/arrival times for early November.

G

No comments: