Thursday, November 10, 2011

Post 60: The journey begins....

F.A.,

We have spent our last week here in the states in the Orange & Seminole counties of Florida, spending quality time with Gavin's family & friends.  Many of his family members were in town to celebrate the marriage of his sister Kaley to Joely Boyd.  Oh, and what a celebration it was!  Gavin and I are sitting this evening in our hotel along Collins Ave on South Beach, still recovering from the long, gluttonous week.

We've had a wonderful time in Florida. Wednesday in particular was especially nice.  The morning was spent in the clear, cool waters of Blue Springs.  There we swam alongside manatees; large, curious, friendly sea elephants.  As you see in the picture taken by another swimmer, I came face to face with one.  We took a few moments to stare at one another in the eyes, before he continued to swim along below me.  It was the beginning of what I anticipate will hopefully be many unforgettable experiences.

The same day, Gavin's step-mom Sally prepared us a traditional Thanksgiving meal.  It was a delightful surprise!  I will not deny that having some pumpkin pie before our departure did not cross my mind.  We were also able to get some much needed supplies for the trip during our visit.  Besides dinner & dancing the night away at Kaley's wonderful wedding, we took the past week to unwind and relax; to rest, to mentally prepare ourselves and just settle down.  To take in comfy beds and hot showers.

Our stomachs were turning as we packed our bags and pulled them over our shoulders this afternoon.  The mixed emotions stirred as we said our final goodbyes to our gracious and most hospitable hosts, Robert and Sally Dehler.  Today we took the long drive from Orlando to Miami, with many, many thanks going to our good friends Stephanie and Derek for the ride.   We took this evening to walk along the famous South Beach strip, known for it's Art Deco architecture and beautiful people.

Recollecting the past week, as the goal gets closer; as we're able to take in what we're about to do for the first time.  We are SO very thankful to the words of encouragement, praise and confidence we've received from so many of our friends and family.  As well as all the hospitality and generosity from our hosts, and from our other close friends and family members.  My grandfather used to tell me I was rich because I had family and friends whom loved me, food in my stomach and a roof over my head, and he was right.  Gavin and I truly are rich in the relationships we share, and we know one day we will show others the same warmth and care that has been shown towards us.  We will pay it forward.  I understand, I'm a sap... but it's a truly overwhelming, wonderful feeling.

We leave our motel in the early morning for Miami International.  At times we will be able to update daily or weekly, as often as we have a wi-fi signal.

June

more pictures after the break, and many more to come...












1 comment:

doug daddio said...

“Without new experiences, something inside of us sleeps. The sleeper must awaken.” – Frank Herbert