Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Post 90: Sucre day two

Fellow adventurers,


Today was spent exploring some of the old city of Sucre, Bolivia's Judicial capital. We wandered through the Plaza 25 de Mayo, the birthplace of Bolivia, where Simon Bolivar declared independence for the nation. He seems to be a reoccurring theme along our journey. A statue of Mariscal Antonio José de Sucre, Bolivar's right hand man, and the first president of Bolivia, stands in the center of the square flanked by large brass lions. We sat on one of the many benches and talked for a bit before getting some local chocolate, which though very hyped, were not nearly as good as we expected.


Our next stop was the General Cemetery of Sucre on the other side of town. It was a bit of a walk to get to it, but well worth it. The cemetery is filled with ornate mausoleums designated to families and historical figures, rows of beautifully landscaped trees, and walls lined with crypts of locals. We spent our time strolling through the many rows of crypts, which vary in terms of their size and style. Each crypt was well kept with decorative flowers, momentos, and sometimes even toys for children who had passed. Even the older graves were well maintained and seemed as though they had been cared for through their many years of existence, without pause.


We seem to have adopted the local custom of Siesta time and spent the later part of the afternoon relaxing before searching out tours and Spanish schools for the remainder of our time here. While at dinner at a local German restaurant, our minds were transported to a previous trip. The inside seemed much akin to old Alemania, as it is called in Espanol. It was a treat.

Tomorrow we are going to try to see the dinosaur tracks near the city, and then apply for some Spanish lessons. We are also changing our accommodation in the morning to more cozy confines. Hopefully our internet signal is better there.

Gavin y June

more photos after the break:


























3 comments:

Gabby said...

I would have really enjoyed the cemetary as well. Death seems to be really honored throughout their culture.
Sure glad you guys got a change in tasted a bit with finding a German restaurant. My coworker brought in ceviche for lunch today that her Latin American neighbor made for her. It tasted so good, and I hope I get to try authentic delicious ceviche soon.

Gabby said...

P.S.~I wish I could take some spanish classes. Although I've been sticking with the Rosetta Stone and love it, it's starting to get pretty difficult. I fear I won't recall everything I've learned! :(
Even though I'm sure I won't really have to use it down there, I'd like to, and just hope I'll be able to. I need confidence!

doug daddio said...

"Cafe Berlin" was probably opened for the old Nazi generals that fled after the war to hide in S. America. "I love my Viener Shnitzel and sour krout!"